I hate to break it to you, Christmas, but Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. There's something really cozy and relaxing about it. Maybe it's the fact that the first snow usually happens around that time? Maybe it's because wedding season is over and I have time to read a bunch of books? Or maybe it's the simple fact that I am sharing a delicious meal with 30+ of my closest family members.
This year my cousin and I are in charge of creating some little escort cards and we're thinking of going the tiny pumpkin route. Can't go wrong with that, right?
Last year a few of my favorite vendors and I got together at Smoky Hollow Studios to create what I think is the the best Thanksgiving table decor ever! I mean, to me this tablescape is both cozy and edgy at the same time. Take a peek.
We wanted the table decor to have a ton of character and edginess to it. Our amazing florist Annie from Best Day Ever Floral Design came up with the idea to add a few wispy flowers in cool concrete vases from Concrete Geometric.
Simple place settings
We chose to keep the place setting clean and simple with white and grey plates, silver utensils and add texture with a velvet napkin. See that little name tag on the napkin? These tiny little metal plates were hand stamped by the super talented calligrapher and invitations designer Lisa from Fiber and Dye. Check out this cool menu she created on the venue's chalkboard wall!
Ok let's talk about cocktails shall we? We had the lovely Sarah from Cali Craft Cocktails come by and provide us with the most delicious and festive drinks. Can we talk about how yummy the coffee-infused drink looks? It fit in so perfectly with our winter tablescape.
Let's be real. No dinner party is complete without dessert! For this Thanksgiving dinner, we stayed away from the traditional pumpkin pie (although it's one of my all time favorite desserts) and opted for a fun whoopie pie! We also paired it with a moscow mule because...why not! Check out the whoopie pie recipe below along with a bonus dessert recipe.
Easy Whoopie Pie Recipe (makes 12 pies):
For the cookie pies:
- Purchase 24 pre-baked cookies in a flavor of your choice from your local bakery (yes, it's that easy). We chose chocolate chip cookies! Select large cookies for the classic whoopie pie look.
Making the cookies:
- If you prefer to make your own cookies, we recommend combining enough dough for 2 cookies to act as each 'pie', pressing down on a baking sheet, and baking accordingly.
- Set aside while you prepare the filling.
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup marshmallow creme
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Making the filling:
- In a large bowl, blend together all of the ingredients until smooth.
Whoopie Pie Assembly:
Spread marshmallow filling on one cookie 'pie' while using another cookie 'pie' to press down.
Enjoy immediately or store in a covered container to enjoy later.
Festive Ginger Cookies (tip: use these cookies as the 'pies' for your whoopie pies for a unique twist!):
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted softened butter
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
Making the cookies:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix dry ingredients together in a large bowl
- Use a stand mixer to cream together the butter and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add in the egg, water and molasses then add in the dry ingredients.
- Scoop and combine two tablespoons of cookie dough and roll them into the 2 tablespoons of sugar. Place on a baking sheet and flatten slightly with the bottom of a measuring cup.
- Bake for 8-11 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
Hope this gave you a few ideas for your own Thanksgiving table decor or even maybe your holiday dinner party. Cheers to a great holiday season!
This shoot has also been featured on Hey Wedding Lady.
Photography by Molly + Co | Venue Smoky Hollow Studios | Design + Planning by ‘Cause We Can Events | Floral Design by Best Day Ever Florals | Wedding Dress by Vene Ai Studio| Headpiece by Le Delicat | Makeup by Mobile Bridal Salon | Stationery Design and Chalk Wall by Fiber and Dye | Tableware from Dish Wish Events | Concrete Planters by Concrete Geometric | Bar by Cali Craft Cocktails | Modeled by Modern Day Girlfriend |