You should feel your absolute best on your wedding day. If you are planning a wedding, you might be looking for ways to get fit and healthy so you can be confident for your special day. We teamed up with our friend, Jenn, Co-Owner and Instructor at Chrysalis Fitness + Wellness for her expertise. Today she is sharing some pro advice and 4 exercises so you can be body confident for your wedding!
Tip: Complete these exercises as a fun date with your partner to de-stress from wedding planning. Ready to kickstart your healthy lifestyle? Keep reading!
I was super nervous before my wedding for so many reasons, but one of them was definitely because I was worried about standing in front of so many of my friends and family, being the center of attention, and having SO many photos taken. There are plenty of articles out there telling you how to get “in shape” for your wedding or how to lose weight for your wedding, if that’s what YOU want then great. But I think it’s far more important to feel confident on your wedding day, you should be able to stand tall on that altar and feel damn good about how you look no matter your size.
The areas that helped me stand tall on my big day were the ones that worked my posture muscles and my core. Here are four Chrysalis Fitness + Wellness exercises that you can do at home with little or no equipment (if you don’t have weights, 2 full wine bottles will do!). I suggest making a playlist of 4-6 of your favorite dance songs that will last about 15 minutes, do a little warm-up like jumping jacks or running in place, and then hit the mat for these exercises. I’ve given some recommendations for reps, but always listen to your body and if it wants less, take a break, if it wants more add some more reps!
I hope these exercises help you stand a little more body confident on your big day!
Jenn – Co-Owner/Instructor of Chrysalis Fitness + Wellness
BACKDANCING OBLIQUE CURL LEG LIFT COMBO
This first exercise works your booty, your hamstrings, and your abs, it hits all parts of your core.
- Avoid straining your neck when you curl your shoulder up.
- Keep your glutes engaged and your hips lifted by pressing down into your bottom heel.
- Slide your supporting arm wider to the side for more balance.
- Lie down onto your back
- Bend your knees and place your feet slightly forward of your knees
- Grip your seat, lift your hips, and pull your navel down
- Keep your upper back on the floor, only lift your seat, waist, and lower ribs off the floor
- Extend your left leg to straight and in line with your bottom leg
- Place your right hand behind your ear with your elbow bent out to the side
- Slowly lift your leg upward and simultaneously curl your right shoulder upward engaging your obliques
- Continue for 15 reps on the left leg, repeat on the other side.
BENT ELBOW LIFTS KNEE DANCING COMBO
This body confident exercise works your chest, upper back, shoulder, core, and quads.
- Keep your neck long by only bringing your arms as narrow as your shoulders. Avoid “shoulder earrings” meaning, keep your shoulders drawn down away from your ears.
- Keep your glutes engaged and your abs drawn in, avoid hinging back too far causing your low back to arch.
- Press the tops of your feet down into the floor behind you, avoid curling your toes under as this can put stress on your knees.
- If you’re on a hard floor, use a folded towel or pillow under your knees.
- Pick up a set of weights (2-5 lbs)
- Kneel down with your knees hip’s width apart or slightly wider and place your feet directly behind
- Squeeze your seat, bend slightly forward at your waist, and hinge slightly back from your knees to engage your quads.
- Bend your elbows in half and draw your elbows slightly wider than your shoulder, elongate your neck by drawing your shoulders down.
- Open your arms into a goal post position and simultaneously hinge back from your knees 2-3 inches engaging your quads more.
- Return to your original position. Repeat for 20 reps.
OBLIQUE PIKE CURL
This exercise works your abs and your upper quads.
- Press down into the side of your supporting forearm to draw your shoulder away from your ear.
- If you have a sensitive hip, try placing a cushion under your glute.
- Bend your knees as much as you need.
- Keep the movement in your abs by exhaling sharply as you lift your legs.
- Sit down and rest onto your right glute, extend your legs diagonally down and forward
- Come down to your right forearm and draw your shoulder away from your ear
- Lift your left arm upward
- Keeping your knees slightly bent, pull your core in, and lift both legs upward on a diagonal as you draw your left arm down toward your shins.
- Return your legs to the floor with control and your arm overhead.
- Continue for 20 reps and repeat on the other side.
REVERSE PUSHUPS WITH LEG LIFTS
This exercise works your triceps, upper back and core.
- Spread your fingertips wide apart to increase surface area and take pressure off of your wrists.
- Squeeze your shoulder blades back and down to elongate your neck.
- If lifting your legs is too much, keep both feet on the floor.
- Sit down on the floor with your feet about a foot and a half in front of you, hip’s width apart.
- Place your hands on the floor with your fingertips facing toward your feet and slightly out on a diagonal.
- Scoop your hips up lifting your seat off of the floor.
- Draw your ribs back toward your inner arms and lengthen your neck by drawing your shoulders down.
- Bend your elbows directly back and simultaneously lift one knee toward your chest, repeat and switch legs.
- Continue, alternating legs for 30 repetitions.
Looking for more exercises to feel body confident as a future newlywed? Use our code: CWCWKFREE to receive a week of free (yes free!) online all access with Chrysalis Fitness + Wellness! You will receive:
- Access to both livestream classes and on-demand virtual platform! Livestream classes provide you with the “in-studio experience,” you will receive live feedback which includes verbal corrections, motivation and modifications.
- On-demand platform provides you with the flexibility to take class when it is convenient for you.
- Access to full classes, mini workouts and how-to videos.
Your 1-week trial activates the date you purchase.
For more pre-wedding planning advice be sure to check out these self care tips for future newlyweds next!